Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Heroic Holy Remnant

No kidding, I have seen fundamentalism that boarders on this kind of thing!

Having focused closely on Christian fundamentalism in its many, many forms since the late 1970s I find that at times it disproportionately fills my field of view and I can get a distorted sense of its importance. However, in a post dated 18th of August and entitled Partnering with a Creationist University one of my favourite fundies, Ken Ham, helps me get back a sense of proportion:  This is what he says (See underline):

One of the most-asked questions I receive at conferences and from visitors to the Creation Museum concerns whether I have a recommendation for a Bible college or university that has a strong creationist emphasis that their teenagers could attend.
Sadly, there are very few creationist universities (or Bible colleges or seminaries, for that matter) in the world—and only one we know of that has a creation-based geology degree program—Cedarville University in Ohio (only about 2 hours from the Creation Museum)

Yes, I've noted this kind of thing before (See also here) and so has somebody else, but this reminder is confirmation of the need for fundamentalists like Ken Ham to maintain the spiritual spin that supports the self-image of a heroic holy remnant battling against wide spread heresy and apostasy in the church - after all, they need a dignifying rationale to live for. However, academic Christianity is not entirely representative of rank-and-file Christianity where it is likely that there is greater prevalence of the fundamentalist cognitive complex.

And while I'm here take a look at this picture of Ken's Ark and compare it with my blog post on "Quantum Non-Linearity".  If the weather in Kentucky is anything less than mild then those thin wood walls are either unfinished or they are going to prove rather energy inefficient.
 From Quantum Non-Linearity 29/615: *quote* My guess is that the "hull" of AiG's Ark will be covered in a thin facade of planks and that's highly symbolic because in the final analysis that's what this "Ark"  project is all about: namely, a matchstick facade sufficient to give visitors the impression of being inside the Ark *unquote*

No comments: